Tuesday 24 June 2014

FINAL ROUND OF SA CUP series "Hayterdale"

After a consistent first half of the season, I was confident going into the final round of the SA Cup series. We arrived to a cold and wet PE on Thursday morning, unpacked our bikes and went for a short ride. Thanks to Marco and his family for having us over on Thursday evening. The rest of the team arrived Friday morning, we had the privilege of meeting at the TWT warehouse. Victor gave us the low down as to how things work and then headed out to the track for a few practice laps.



The track hadn't changed from the pervious year. Tight turns, narrow single track and not much climbing. We would be racing seven laps of the 4,2km course. I didn’t have a great start, fourth wheel into the single track. Phil first, Gert second and Beukes third. Gaps opened and I was left 20seconds off the pace after lap one. On a good day it would be hard to chase down Phil, but on this track it seemed impossible. Juniors were on course at the same time and passing large groups was a nightmare. 


By the end of lap two I had moved into 2nd place with only Phil up the road. I believed I could close down the gap, but it didn’t happen. He took his opportunity when it counted most. I ended the day in second place. I can’t be unhappy with a podium in all three rounds I competed in.

It was a good outing for the Kargo Pro team. The only concern was the lack of spectators at the event, not only for the athletes but for the sponsors. In order for our sport to grow CSA need to work hand in hand with the athletes and teams. It doesn’t help having national event 100km away from the nearest town.


I look forward to this upcoming weekend where I turn my focus to the world Marathon Champs…...

2 comments:

  1. Well done on the achievement and hard work.. i promise u, if i was in the area id defnitly watch u race boet... goodluck for the events ahead... look sharp and stay sharp.....keep it up... okkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your sentiment. Same at SA XCM, same at MTN Hilton - spectators almost Zero. There has to be a better way to market the Sport, make it accessible to a MTB Mad RSA. They turn up in their droves to watch impossible to enjoy rugby. The Sport requires a different thinking pattern, right from the top, to enhance. Per Capita we are one of the biggest Mtb Nations. With the lowest Spectator attendance.

    ReplyDelete